- Tuesday, March 12, 6:00 pm - Alabama Ballet Center for Dance.
- Learn More.
Company and Apprenticeship Auditions
The Alabama Ballet will be holding open an audition for both Company and Apprenticeship positions for its 2013-2014 Season.
Tell me about your Company :
The Alabama Ballet is currently comprised of thirty-five (35) Professional dancers: twenty- two Company Members and thirteen Apprentices. Repertoire will include both classical and contemporary works with 4-6 main-stage productions in Birmingham and some touring engagements. The Alabama Ballet offers a competitive salary & health insurance for Company positions as well as athletic training, physical therapy for all our dancers.
Both Company and Apprenticeship contracts will begin in September 2011 and end in April 2012, for a total of 26 weeks.
When is the open Audition? Where? What should I expect?
Registration begins at 1:00 PM CST and is held at the Alabama Ballet Center for Dance at 2726 1st Ave South.
The Audition will begin at 2:00 PM and should end no later than 4:30PM CST
The audition will consist of class, pointe work for ladies, and some company repertoire.
What will I need to bring with me?
All auditionees will need to have the following at the time of registration:
- A Current Resume; including email and phone contact information
- A Current Headshot
- Current Dance photos, including 1st Arabesque position (en pointe for ladies)
- $20 Audition Fee; Cash or Check (NO LARGE BILLS PLEASE)
What if I can’t attend the open audition?
The option to the open audition is to apply for an audition via Company Class.
To Apply for an audition via Company Class, Applicants should mail their resume, headshots, dance photos, and a performance DVD to:
The Alabama Ballet
2726 1st Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
Applications for Audition via Company Class will be accepted between January 1st to April 22nd, 2011
Applicants may email their resume, headshots and dance photos to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not email links to videos on the internet. Only hard copies of your performances will be accepted.
Applicants being furthered considered will be contacted by our staff to schedule an acceptable time.
Due to our Production Schedule, the last day to audition via Company Class will be Friday, April 29th. Therefore, please send your application with enough time to allow for processing and allow yourself enough time for travel.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: When can I expect to hear back about my audition?
A: Applicants can expect to receive notification regarding their audition by mail, phone or email beginning around May, 2011.
Q: Is there lodging and transportation nearby the Alabama Ballet studios?
A: There are many hotels in the downtown Birmingham area that are in close proximity to the Alabama Ballet, however you may want to arrange for your transportation around town.
Some nearby hotels are:
The Redmont: www.theredmont.com 205.324.2101
Hyatt Place: http://www.birminghamdowntown.place.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/place/index.jsp 205 322 8600
The Double Tree http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/BHMDTDT-Doubletree-Hotel-Birmingham-Alabama/index.do 205.933.900
Q: What if I have more questions?
A: You can email Company Stage Manager, Joelle Tucker, at email@example.com with SUBJECT: (YOUR NAME), Audition
Directions to the Alabama Ballet Center for Dance
- From I59/I20 West or East take the Hwy 31/Carraway Blvd. exit. Bear left — do not get on Carraway Blvd. This is Red Mountain Expressway. Take the 3rd-4th Ave. exit, and bear to the right. Drive North until you reach 1st Ave. S. Take a right on 1st Ave. S. Go under Red Mt. Expressway. The building is ahead on the left.
- From Hwy 280E and Red Mountain Expressway, exit onto 3rd Ave. S. Take a left at the yield sign, pass 3rd Ave. and take a left on 2nd Ave. Take a right onto 25th St. and then the next right onto 1st. Ave. S. The building is ahead on left.
- From 65 North (University Blvd.) or South take the 8th Ave. exit. Drive to 25th St., take a left and drive north until you reach 1st Ave. S. Take a right and go under Red Mt. Expressway. The building is ahead on the left.